I am sharing the profile of mine (Major General S B Asthana,SM,VSM) Author on WION News with all friends to be able to read my opinions/articles
My author profile on Indian Defence Review, Modern Diplomacy (EU), DNA, RIAC, Newsroom 24×7, Global Review and other media platforms renowned publications, newspapers and web portals is on on Google.
My profile is as under:-
Profile : MAJ GEN S B ASTHANA,SM,VSM
- Known for his strategic vision, conceptual thinking, strategic writing inspiring leadership, skilful planning, in-depth assessment of issues, team building, oratory and motivational skills for effective implementation.
- Highly professional, dynamic, veteran Infantry General with 40 years of managerial experience at national and international level . Held various key appointments in Army and UN during military carrier. Awarded twice by President of India, twice by UN, and CEE excellence award for Nation building by Governor of Haryana.
- Awarded for “International Diplomacy and Global Conflict Resolution” by the International Organization for Educational Development “IOED” and International Police Commission – IPC India by the former Prime Minister of Moldova.
- Presently Chief Instructor of all Courses for military officers in United Service Institute of India. On Board of Governors/Advisors/ Security Council in International /UN related Organisations like International Organisation of Educational Development (IOED), Security Council of United Nations Association of India (UNAI), United Nations Collaboration for Economic and Social Development in Africa (UNCESDA), International Council on Global Conflict Resolution (ICGCR), International Police Commission (IPC) and member of Security Council of Internet TV News Media Network, Confederation of Educational Excellence (CEE). On Advisory Board of Swedish Armed Forces International Center – SWEDINT, Member Norway based UN organisation-Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network (EPON). Member of various Think Tanks like Future Directions International (Australia), Institute of Defence and Strategic Analysis. Life member USI of India and Centre for Land Warfare Studies.
- Globally acclaimed strategic & military writer/analyst on international affairs. Authored over 200 publications/articles and over 180 blogs, on international & National issues. Has been interviewed by various National and International media channels in various appointments in India and abroad, including frequent discussions/opinions on WION News, Rajyasabha TV, Doordarshan, Republic TV, NewsX, India Ahead, Tiranga TV, India TV, Zee TV, India News, Samay TV. Interviewed by Sputnik, SCMP (Six Times), Global Review (Germany) six times, Safety & Security International (Germany), Voice of France, Financial Express, Sunday Guardian, Business World, The Sentinel and ANI (Several Times). Editorials in Financial Chronicle. Writing for Washington Post, Modern Diplomacy (EU and Africa), Global Review (Germany), FDI(Australia), Korea Times, Economic Times, South China Morning Post, Global Times (China), Asia Times (Australia), Business World, Russian International Affairs Council (RIAC)Journal, Tuck Magazine(Australia), Eurasian Review, Business Standard, Diplomacy and Beyond(EU), Indian Defence Review, GIAP Journal, DNA India, USI Journal, Indian Military Review, Synergy Journal, WION News, ANI, Kootneeti, Borderless Newsonline, National Defence, Salute, Scroll, Print, Newsmobile, and Newsroom 24X7, Indian Observer Post in different forms, besides own publications. Continues to write on international subjects in globally renowned publications, newspapers and web portals.
- Delivering talks on strategic, military, educational development issues and leadership in various universities and forums in India and abroad. External examiner for M Phil, with Panjab University, in institutes like Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi.
Highlights of Earlier Experience within India:
- As Additional Director General of Infantry, also worked as DG Infantry, macro managed and formulated policies regarding Administration, Manpower Planning, Staffing, HR Development, Training, Equipping, Modernisation & Budgeting of infantry soldiers, besides overseeing large organisations like various regimental centres, and large training establishments. Responsible for joint training of Infantry units with a large No of countries.
- Head of Training Team at Tri-service Defence Services staff college, Wellington, conceptualising and preparing Training doctrines/ policies to train selected officers from three services and a large number of countries.
- As Commander in Tripura, successfully handled crisis management in disturbed areas, conflict resolution while working in a multi – agency environment, and was awarded Vishishth Seva Medal by the President of India and Commendation card. Worked as Chairman of Assam Rifles Public School, Agartala, Board member of Assam Rifles Public School Shillong, and Patron of two other Assam Rifles Schools in Tripura.
- As Commanding Officer of infantry battalion during Kargil conflict by was awarded Sena Medal, by the President of India, for successful operations.
- Director operational Logistics at Defence Headquarters, wherein carried out macro and micro management of logistics, and supply chain management to borders for Indian Army, and equipped, dispatched, maintained and turned over Indian military contingents to UN and other missions internationally. Was awarded commendation cards twice by Chief of Army Staff.
International Work Experience:
- Vast international working experience with UN, and other foreign assignments, which include negotiating and managing joint training with more than 13 countries from Europe, Africa, Middle East, US, Russia and neighbouring countries, Monitored selection of all Infantry troops to UN missions and other international events. Represented Indian Delegation to Bulgaria for Defence Cooperation.
- Served as Chief Logistics Officer (CLO) and Deputy Chief Integrated Support Services (DCISS) in UNMEE in early stages of establishment of Mission. Was awarded a Commendation Card by the SRSG and Force Commander for outstanding contribution to Mission and UN. The job besides logistics and management included works related to engineering and construction of accommodation.
- Served as instructor for conduct first UN Logistics Course at Centre of Excellence at UN Logistics Base at Brindisi (Italy), CUNPK India, and many UN Courses abroad including Colombo. Was involved in preparing STM2 for logistics for UN as Subject Matter Expert in logistics.
- Presently Guest Speaker and conducting exercises in Centre of UN Peacekeeping, India. Frequently Interviewed on UN subjects by Voice of France, SSI Germany, Global Review Germany and think tanks in UK. Interviewed for UN programs on Indian National radio Akashwani and National Television Doordarshan. Some of the interviews are available on website
- Member Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network (EPON). Attended the Annual General Meeting of EPON in New York and the Seminars related to Effectiveness of Peace Operations in Washington DC and New York organised by NUPI in conjunction with TES of United Nations Headquarters.
- PhD scholar with JNU. Researching on China.
- Two Master of Philosophy degrees in Defence Management and Public Administration with ‘outstanding’ grade.
- Master’s degree in defence studies
- Post graduate diploma in human resource management.
- Diplomas in supply chain management, disaster management and negotiation skills from IIM.
- Advanced Professional Programme on Public Administration with senior bureaucrats dealing with governance at senior level, with outstanding grade.
- Higher Command and Defence Services staff College courses.
- Attended the National Development Course (NDC) in Taiwan & obtained ‘Outstanding’ grade dealing with governance and developing small and medium enterprises in the country.
- Earlier Researched as ‘Senior Fellow’ in USI of India as a Col and presented papers in large No of seminars involving various international think tanks on strategic issues. Published a large No of papers, articles, and monographs.
Reachable at Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ as Shashi Asthana, asthana_shashi on twitter, own site https://asthanawrites.org/ email email@example.com Linkedin Profile www.linkedin.com/in/shashi-asthana-4b3801a6
Member Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network (EPON). Attended the Annual General Meeting of EPON in New York and the Seminars related to Effectiveness of Peace Operations in Washington DC and New York organised by NUPI in conjunction with TES of United Nations Headquarters.