I am sharing the profile of mineMajor General S B Asthana, Author on WION News with all friends to be able to read my opinions/articles
My author profile on Indian Defence Review, Modern Diplomacy (EU), ,DNA, RIAC, Newsroom 24×7, Global Review and other media platforms on Google.
My publication related biodata is as under:-
Profile : MAJ GEN S B ASTHANA,SM,VSM
- Key Skills:
- Known for his strategic vision, conceptual thinking, strategic writing inspiring leadership, skilful planning, in-depth assessment of issues, team building, oratory and motivational skills for effective implementation.
- Highly professional, dynamic, veteran Infantry General with 40 years of managerial experience at national and varied international level fields. Held various key appointments in Army and UN during military carrier. Awarded twice by President of India, twice by UN, and CEE excellence award for Nation building by Governor of Haryana.
- Current Assignments:
- Currently, the Chief Instructor of all Courses for Competitive & Promotion Exams for military officers in United Service Institute of India. Presently on Board of Advisors/Governing Council in International Organisation of Educational Development (IOED), Confederation of Educational Excellence (CEE), and Security Council of United Nations Association of India (UNAI), United Nations Collaboration for Economic and Social Development in Africa (UNCESDA), International Council on Global Conflict Resolution (ICGCR) and International Police Commission (IPC). Life member of various Think Tanks like Institute of Defence & Strategic Analysis, USI of India, Center for Land Warfare Studies.
- Prolific strategic & military writer/analyst on international affairs. Prolific strategic & military writer/analyst on international affairs. Authored over 105 publications/articles and over 100 blogs, on international & National issues. Has been interviewed by various National and International media channels in various appointments in India and abroad, including frequent discussions/opinions on WION, Rajyasabha TV, NewsX, Doordarshan, Samay TV, APN TV. Interviewed by Sputnik, SCMP (Six Times), Global Review (Germany) six times, Safety & Security International (Germany), Voice of France, Financial Express, The Sentinel and ANI (Several Times). Editorials in Financial Chronicle, opinions on WION. Writing for Washington Post, Modern Diplomacy (EU and Africa), Global Review (Germany), FDI(Australia), Korea Times, Economic Times, South China Morning Post, Global Times (China), Asia Times (Australia), WION News, Russian International Affairs Council (RIAC) Journal, Tuck Magazine(Australia), Eurasian Review, Business Standard, Diplomacy and Beyond, Indian Defence Review, GIAP Journal, USI Journal, Indian Military Review, Synergy Journal, ANI, Kootneeti, Borderless Newsonline, National Defence, Salute, Scroll, Print, Newsmobile, and Newsroom 24X7, Indian Observer Post in different forms, besides own publications.
- Delivering talks on strategic, military, educational development issues and leadership in various universities and forums. External examiner for M Phil, with Panjab University, in institutes like Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi. Continues to write on international subjects in globally renowned publications, newspapers and web portals.
- Highlights of Earlier Experience within India:
- As Additional Director General of Infantry, also worked as DG Infantry, macro managed and formulated policies regarding Administration, Manpower Planning, Staffing, HR Development, Training, Equipping, Modernisation & Budgeting of infantry soldiers, besides overseeing large organisations like various regimental centres, and large training establishments. Responsible for joint training of Infantry units with a large No of countries. Head of Training Team at Tri-service Defence Services staff college, Wellington, conceptualising and preparing Training doctrines/ policies to train selected officers from three services and a large number of countries. As Commander, successfully handled crisis management in disturbed areas, conflict resolution while working in a multi – agency environment, and was awarded Vishishth Seva Medal by the President of India and Commendation card. Worked as Chairman of Assam Rifles Public School, Agartala, Board member of Assam Rifles Public School Shillong, and Patron of two other Assam Rifles Schools in Tripura.As Commanding Officer of infantry battalion during Kargil conflict by was awarded Sena Medal, by the President of India, for successful operations.
- Director operational Logistics at Defence Headquarters, wherein carried out macro and micro management of logistics, and supply chain management to borders for Indian Army, and equipped, dispatched, maintained and turned over Indian military contingents to UN and other missions internationally. Was awarded commendation cards twice by Chief of Army Staff.
- International Work Experience:
- Vast international working experience with UN, and other foreign assignments, which include negotiating and managing joint training with more than 13 countries from Europe, Africa, Middle East, US, Russia and neighbouring countries, Monitored selection of all Infantry troops to UN missions and other international events. Represented Indian Delegation to Bulgaria for Defence Cooperation.
- Served as Chief Logistics Officer (CLO) and Deputy Chief Integrated Support Services (DCISS) in UNMEE in early stages of establishment of Mission. Was awarded a Commendation Card by the SRSG and Force Commander for outstanding contribution to Mission and UN. The job besides logistics and management included works related to engineering and construction of accommodation.
- Served as instructor for conduct first UN Logistics Course at Centre of Excellence at UN Logistics Base at Brindisi (Italy), CUNPK India, and many UN Courses abroad including Colombo. Was involved in preparing STM2 for logistics for UN as Subject Matter Expert in logistics.
- Presently Guest Speaker and conducting exercises in Centre of UN Peacekeeping, India.
- PhD researcher with JNU. Researching on China.
- Two Master of Philosophy degrees in Defence Management and Public Administration with ‘outstanding’ grade.
- Master’s degree in defence studies
- Post graduate diploma in human resource management.
- Diplomas in supply chain management, disaster management and negotiation skills from IIM.
- Advanced Professional Programme on Public Administration with senior bureaucrats dealing with governance at senior level, with outstanding grade.
- Higher Command and Defence Services staff College courses.
- Attended the National Development Course (NDC) in Taiwan & obtained ‘Outstanding’ grade dealing with governance and developing small and medium enterprises in the country.
- Earlier Researched as ‘Senior Fellow’ in USI of India as a Col and presented papers in large No of seminars involving various international think tanks on strategic issues. Published a large No of papers, articles, and monographs. A monograph title “Infrastructure Development of China in Indian Neighbourhood: Strategic Implications.” was published in two editions on popular demand.
Reachable at Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ as Shashi Asthana, asthana_shashi on twitter, My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl50YRTBrOCVIxDtHfhvQDQ?view_as=subscriber