The warm embrace between President Trump and Prime Minister Modi, the Red carpet treatment to ‘True Friend’ in White House, and their mutual praise at press briefing says everything regarding expectations regarding establishing excellent rapport between two world leaders of social media.
The will to take strategic partnership forward and the fact that fastest growing economy of India was taken serious note of was definitely a positive signal for India. The gestures like declaring Sayeed Salauddin as global terrorist, and sale of some surveillance drones to India, prior to meeting may not have substantial impact but was a positive signalling of US intent in setting stage for the meeting.
The written joint statement is yet to come out, but fight against global terrorism, and radicalisation, strategic issues including maritime security, defence and trade co-operations dominated the agenda.The extract of what they said, as put out by Republic is as under:-
President Trump addresses the gathering
- We will destroy radical Islamic terrorism
- PM Modi invited my daughter Ivanka to lead US delegation to the global entrepreneurship in India, and I believe she has accepted
- You have a big vision for improving infrastructure and fighting corruption
- Always had admiration for your country, people, culture, heritage and traditions:
- Relationship between India and the US has never been stronger
PM Modi addresses the gathering
- India is committed to peace in Afghanistan, rebuilding that country is our top priority:
- We have agreed to work closely on boosting maritime trade and cooperation:
- Our visions are convergent,
- Most important part of our cooperation would be to end state sponsorship of terror,
- Trade, commerce and investment are key areas. Technology, innovation and knowledge economy are also areas were are actively looking at: PM
- Both India and USA are global engines of growth. Eliminating terrorism is among the topmost priorities for us:
- Our talks today are an important moment in the cooperation between our nations.
While washington post commented on it as “Budding Romance or one night Stand”, the CNN seemed to be concerned with Trump’s venture into sensitive India Pakistan relations. As India had pitched the expectations prior to the visit very low and was not asking for moon, one can commend the diplomatic efforts and the leaders of largest democracies in striking the right notes.
Once the joint statement is put out, it will have to be seen as to how US and India move further on deliverables.
You are invited to connect with the author as Shashi Asthana on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Google+